Traveling Nurse Screening Process
When choosing the right Traveling Nurses and traveling allied health techs we take those extra steps to ensure they will be exactly what you expect them to be: professionals. We first make sure we have all the specifics of each need, such as shift, nurse to patient ratio, typical cases, number of beds or suites, special equipment and all certification requirements, amount of call, and any other detail that will assist us in finding a perfect match.
Once the full information is entered into our system so all of our Career Consultants have the exact details, we match any possible candidates in our system and pass on all the information to make sure the nurse is interested and qualified. If the nurse is interested, we further assess skills and qualifications to guarantee the individual meets or exceeds all requirements. We then send profiles to the appropriate party (whether it's HR, staffing, or directly to the unit manager).
Later, we arrange a phone interview and follow-up with both the interviewer and the candidate. If the offer is made to the Traveler, we consent with the nurse and send out a confirmation, which is sent to the hospital and then categorized as a work order. After that, we secure all mandatory screenings and proceed with various other checks.
Multi-Point Screening Process
With the vast network of recruitment strategies we have in place, we have the ability to deliver our Clients the greatest number of talented traveling healthcare professionals. Each one possesses a unique skill set, valuable experience, and the passion for patient care. Another commonality our Travelers share is that each one is dedicated to preserving the reputation of our Client's facilities as revered medical establishments.
At Medical Solutions, we go to great lengths to measure competency within our network of healthcare providers to ensure a positive contribution to the reputation of your facility. As one of the leading traveling healthcare agencies in the country, we understand the importance of maintaining your medical facility as one that delivers superior healthcare, second to none. We also know having a staff versed in the technological advances in medicine is truly the best way to accomplish this.
Below is the list of screening protocols we utilize to ensure you receive the best of the best:
- Employment Application (includes education, experience, certifications, etc.)
- Skills Checklist (updated annually)
- 2 Professional References (one being Supervisor in last year worked and second within last three years worked)
- Performance Evaluations (requested from hospital after every contract, attempt to complete at least annually)
- Primary Source Verification of Licensure, verified upon hire and prior to each subsequent contract and/or certification renewal
- Primary Source Verification of Certification for Allied Health, (ARRT, CST, etc) verified upon hire and prior to each subsequent contract and/or certification renewal
- Certifications, NPI and DEA for Midlevel Practitioners, verified upon hire and prior to each subsequent contract and/or certification renewal
- BLS with hands on skills required for anyone with patient contact (other certifications as required per facility and unit)
- Specialty Certification strongly encouraged
- Employee Handbook (internal education on company policies/procedures, evaluation process, etc.)
- OSHA, Joint Commission Mandatories and Patient Safety/Care Standards Competency upon hire and renewed annually
- Social Security Trace for Address Verification
- County Felony/Misdemeanor Background Checks (includes all residences for last seven years)
- National Sex Offender Search upon hire and annually
- FACIS ® Screening (Fraud and Abuse Control Information System) (upon initial hire and monthly); for extensions, will perform OIG/EPLS for every extension over 2 weeks in length)
- FACIS ® Level 3: searches disciplinary actions taken by federal agencies (including OIG/EPLS/GSA) as well as licensing and certification agencies in all 50 states
- OIG/EPLS: searches sanction information with OIG/EPLS/GSA and other federal agencies
- SSN Verification through E-Verify Program through the SSA (Social Security Administration) and the DHS (Department of Homeland Security)
- Employment Verification (Minimum of 3 years or 3 employers verified)/Practicum Experience for New Graduates (Allied Health)
- Education Verification (initial degree except for Midlevel Practitioners will verify initial and highest degree)
- Other Background Checks as requested by the Hospital
- I-9 (documents accepted per USCIS regulations, at least one must verify identity) i.e. Driver's License, Social Security Card, Passport, Birth Certificate, etc.
- Traveler must show photo ID when reporting to the facility
- Drug Screen completed within 30 days of start at new facility (9 panel minimum)
- Hepatitis B – we accept vaccine series (3), titer results or Declination Form
- MMR – we accept 2 vaccines or titer results
- Varicella – we accept 2 vaccines or titer results
- Annual influenza vaccine or declination form
- Physical – annual (must be completed by MD, DO, PA or NP)
- TB – annual, 1 step OR TB Quantiferon Gold OR TB Spot
- Chest X-ray – for history of positive PPD, completed at time of positive ppd reading, must indicate for positive ppd, and then repeated if becomes symptomatic (Per CDC Guidelines) or per facility requirement
- TB Annual Screening Form – annually, for those Travelers with history of positive PPD
Nurse Competency Online Workplace Safety Course Content includes: Joint Commission, HIPAA, OSHA, Safety (general, fire, radiation, electrical, hazardous materials), Disaster Preparedness, Medical Devices, Latex, Workplace Violence, Sexual Harassment, Infection Control, Hand Hygiene, Bloodborne Pathogens, Hepatitis B, TB, National Patient Safety Goals, Medication Administration and Safety, Patient Assessment, Care Planning, Pain Assessment, Abuse and Neglect, Age-Specific Considerations, Cultural Diversity and Spiritual Needs, Patient Rights, Confidentiality, Ethics, Informed Consent, Advanced Directives, Restraints, Sedation, Point of Care Testing, Performance Improvement, End of Life Care, Resuscitation, Organ Donation, Sentinel Events
Contact a Client Manager to learn more at 866.633.3548.
Learn more about Travel Nursing Information for Hospitals.
Learn how Medical Solutions can help with your facility's EMR conversion process.
Healthcare Staffing Resources
Read about hot topics in the healthcare industry here.
Traveling Nurse Screening Process
Our unique multi-point screening process ensures you have only the best candidates.
Staffing Client Testimonials
Our reputation as a first-class Travel Nursing staffing agency is second to none!
Healthcare Recruiting Strategy
We can find the most qualified Travel Nurses for your facility.
Managed Service Provider Services
As your Managed Service Provider, we'll handle your short-term nurse staffing needs so your perm staff can focus on delivering quality patient care!
Strength Through the Years
Find out why Medical Solutions has consistently ranked as one of the fastest growing staffing companies in the healthcare field.
Excelerated Staff Program
In need of a few good Travel Nurses? Look no further than our Excelerated Staff Program.
Advanced Practice Staffing
We offer a range of cost-effective staffing solutions for your facility.
Nurse Bridge Job Action Solution
Learn how Nurse Bridge, Medical Solution’s strike division, can help find replacement healthcare workers for your facility.
Apply now and take the fast track to starting your career as a Travel Nurse.