April 2013 Travel Nurse Newsletter
A Fabulous Las Vegas Nurses Week
Vegas!!! Yep, you heard us right. The theme for this year's Nurses Week is Las Vegas, and you can make your best bet, we have a lot planned for you.
Nurses Week is May 6-10th, 2013. During that time we will be hosting daily Vegas themed contests for you to win prizes such as iPad Minis, 3-piece luggage sets, gift cards galore and a trip to Las Vegas in October to attend the 2013 Travelers Conference.
Your Career Consultant will be sending more details on how to win some of these great prizes, along with regular updates on all of the festivities. You can also visit, We Love Our Nurses.com for more information.
This year is sure to be the best Nurses Week yet! Why? Because you deserve it.
Nurses Of Tomorrow Scholarship
At Medical Solutions we believe the nurses are our future. What better way to support that than to teach them well and let them lead the way? To that end, we present Nurses of Tomorrow, our second annual scholarship competition, in honor of Nurses Week. This is a great opportunity for undergraduate nursing students in need of a little financial relief on their paths to becoming part of the next wave of skilled nurses, leaders, and educators, and easing the nursing shortage.
Applicants will be judged on several criteria, including a 250-word essay answering the question: “What do you feel are the most important components needed for quality nursing care? ” Three lucky winners will receive $1000 scholarships.
Be sure to share this great opportunity with aspiring nurses you may know. For the full criteria and fine print on the competition, click here. Applications are due by June 6, 2013.
Refer a Friend and Receive $500
Want your friends to thank you for being a friend? Tell them about us! Refer friends and co-workers to Medical Solutions and help them onto a happy, dynamic career path. As an added bonus, helping them helps you:
Click here for our referral form and more details on how a successful referral could net you $500 cash or other gifts. To seal the deal just make sure they mention you by name and ask specifically for your Career Consultant. And remember, you can refer as many people as you like!
Clinical Corner: New AHA Stroke Guidelines
by Joe Bryowsky RN, CCRN - Clinical Manager
On January 31, 2013 the American Heart Association announced the updated Guidelines for the Early management of Patients with Acute Ischemic Stroke.The new recommendations replace the guidelines last issued in 2007.
While some of the guidelines from 2007 remain the same other guidelines have been added, changed or eliminated.
The revised and new recommendations:
- Supports aggressive treatment of acute stroke with IV tPA (Tissue plasminogen activator)
- Shows evidence that patients benefit from the development of stroke systems of care. (EMS along with Acute Stroke Ready Hospitals, Primary Stroke Centers (PSC's), and Comprehensive Stroke Centers (CSC's)
- Recognizes that the addition of telemedicine (telestroke) has further expanded the radius of stroke care delivery
- Recommends that EMS bypass hospitals that do not have resources to treat acute stroke
- Highlights pre-hospital notification by EMS
- Reiterates that only a limited number of laboratory and radiologic tests are required before administering IV tPA (blood glucose check and non-contrast enhanced CT or MRI)
- States that door to tPA bolus time interval of 60 minutes or less maximizes benefits of IV tPA
- Suggests that intra-arterial mechanical thrombectomy has emerged as a promising therapy for a subset of stroke patients that are identified with advanced neuroimaging
- States that tPA can now be considered for a larger group of patients, including some who present up to 4.5 hours from stroke onset
These guidelines also address the lack of clinical evidence in the following for the treatment of acute stroke:
- The use of devices to augment cerebral blood flow
- Drug induced hypertension
- Volume expansion
To read more of this article click here.
Traveling Pet of the Month
Give a big hand to Lukah for winning this month's Pet of the Month award! Lukah is a a very smiley pup owned by our Traveler, Emily. He loves snacking on Beggin' Strips and traveling with his mom. If you'd like to nominate your pet for Traveling Pet of the Month, fill out a pet application.
Apply now and take the fast track to starting your career as a Travel Nurse.apply today
Find your next Traveling Nurse job based on what you love.search now