How to Stop Travel Nurse Bullying
Nurse bullying is a problem that affects many nurses.
Travel Nurses are no exception to this rule. In the case of a Travel Nurse, bullying can be an intensified issue since most Travel Nurses are typically introduced into a fully formed workplace culture.
Here's the skinny on nurse bullying:
- 18-31% of Nurses have been bullied at work.
- Types of Bullying - Vertical bullying involves a nurse being bullied by a manager or other superior. Horizontal bullying involves a nurse being bullied by a peer or colleague.
- Effects on Patient Safety - In addition to a hostile work enviornment, nurse bullying can also harm patients. Putting nurses under additional pressure distracts and can cause errors on the job.
How Travel Nurses can combat nurse bullying:
- Be Aware - So often a Traveler will just brush off bullying or chalk it up to being the new guy or gal. Be in touch with what’s really going on and remember that you deserve respect on the job.
- Document - Take notes — including dates, names, and times — on how you’re being bullied.
- Report - If a situation can’t be resolved on your own, you should formally report it to hospital administration and/or HR.
- React Properly - The worst thing you can do is retaliate in a bullying fashion, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t defend yourself. It’s a tricky balance to strike, but just be communicative, professional, and honest. Speak up and say, “You are bullying me. Please stop.”
- If You See A Colleague Being Bullied - Observe the situation and make the same notes you would if it were you being bullied. Tell said colleague that you’ve noticed and are willing to provide any support necessary. Don’t be afraid to speak up against bullies. Like the saying goes, “If you see something, say something.”
- Be a Part of the Solution - At the end of the day, nurse bullying is a part of a hospital’s culture. While you might not be there long as a Traveler, do your best to be a good part of the culture and improve it through your own personal conduct.
* Sources: American Nurses Association, The Joint Commission, Med Surg Nursing
Benefits of Not Switching Travel Nurse Companies
Find out why it pays to stay with one Travel Nurse company.
Great Cities You Might Have Overlooked
During your Travel Nursing career, some cities just might surprise you. Find out which cities we think deserve a second look.
Guide to Becoming a Travel Nurse
With this guide, you'll be a Travel Nurse and on the open road in no time!
How to Land Your Travel Nurse Dream Job
Getting the Travel Nursing gig of your dreams might be easier than you think.
How to Stop Travel Nurse Bullying
Stop nurse bullying in its tracks with these tips!
Infographics for Travel Nurses
If a picture's worth a thousand words, than these Travel Nurse infographics are a must-see!
Perfecting the Interview
Ace your Travel Nurse interview with these tips!
PBDS Testing Guide
Sharpen your critical and clinical skills with our PBDS study guide.
14 Questions to Ask Your Career Consultant
Find the perfect Career Consultant for you.
Reasons to Become a Travel Nurse
Looking for a reason to travel? We've got a few for you!
Stability in Travel Nursing
Although Travel Nursing assignments are temporary, you can go the distance with a Travel Nursing career.
Student Guide to Travel Nursing
Prepare yourself for a Travel Nursing career while you're still in school!
Travel Nurse Orientation Guide
Travel Nurse Orientation 101: Learn how to quickly adjust to your new facility.
Be Social on Your Travel Nurse Assignment
Say hello to freedom and adventure as a Travel Nurse. Great things happen when you embrace the unexpected.
Travel Nursing Blogs
Blogs can be a great tool for the Travel Nurse. Find our top picks here.
Travel Nursing Books
Make the transition to a Travel Nursing career with our collection of links to Travel Nursing books and guides.
Travel Nursing Magazines
Become an industry insider with these links to our favorite Travel Nursing magazines.
Travel Nursing Shopping Guide
Find the right Travel Nurse company for you.
Travel Nursing Social Networks
Get social with these online communities and stay connected with other Travel Nurses while on assignment.
Travel Nursing Tools
From a Cost of Living Calculator to a Salary Calculator, find everything you need to navigate your Travel Nursing career here.
Apply now and take the fast track to starting your career as a Travel Nurse.apply today
Find your next Traveling Nurse job based on what you love.search now