Perfecting the Travel Nursing Interview
Are you supposed to treat it like a real interview?
When you Interview with a prospective employer, you’re taught to put your best foot forward and present your best side. What about when you go to a healthcare staffing company for help finding a job? One of the first differences of a Travel Nursing interview versus a traditional one is that it will be done over the phone. Either way, you must be prepared, professional, and informative. Here are three tips to help you in in your Travel Nurse interview.
Before your profile is submitted and interview with the potential healthcare facility in need, make sure your resume and references are in order. If you’re looking for a job in a particular specialty, make sure your resume reflects that as well. Also, confirm that your contact information for your references, including phone numbers, job titles, and companies are correct so your interviewer can quickly check references with your previous employers. You will make it easier for the Career Consultant to find you a job if you are prepared for the interview with current and accurate information.
Now that the Career Consultant has assessed your skills, be clear as to the types of jobs, shifts, and locations you want. This way, your Career Consultant can submit your profile to a healthcare facility that matches your needs as close as possible. Once your Career Consultant has submitted your profile for review, you might have to wait to get your travel nursing interview, but don t take it as a time to veg. Instead use this time to prepare so you can blow the hiring nurse manager away during your interview.
Even though you aren’t interviewing face-to-face, you still want to act and speak in a professional manner. Career Consultants make their recommendations to hospitals based on your demeanor and experience. So, make sure to put on your best smile and act like the healthcare professional you are. You'd be surprised how far a good attitude can take you.
Here are some helpful tips to get you through the interview:
- Interview for the Travel Nursing job as soon as you can. You don't want to lose the position to a nurse who was able to interview faster.
- Be prepared for your Travel Nurse interview. Take the time to research the hospital and unit so there are no surprises in the interview.
- Plan your responses to common interview questions. Your answers will sound smoother, help eliminate any awkward pauses, and make you sound like a better communicator. Just be sure to stay spontaneous and not sound robotic.
- Find a quiet place to conduct the phone interview with minimal distractions.
- Have a bottle of water on hand so your throat doesn’t dry out from so much talking, and have a pen and paper handy to write notes or any new questions.
- Have all the materials about the hospital close by and write down the name of the interviewer.
- Remember that being a flexible, team player is one of the most sought after traits in a Travel Nurse.
- Be sure to ask questions (plan these in advance.) Keep in mind that you are interviewing the facility as much as they are interviewing you. You want to make sure it is a good fit for your career goals.
- During the interview, smile when you talk. It will change the tone of your voice. Hiring managers are looking for friendly team players who can fit in easily with their unit.
- Follow up with your recruiter after the interview. They will want to know how it went and if you're still interested in the job.
Make sure you know what the next step is in the Travel Nurse placement process, and if you want the job make sure to state that fact and follow up with your recruiter immediately after the travel nursing interview to let her know how it went. Although finding you a job is their top priority, they can't do it without your help. Stay in contact with your staffing agency by following these tips, and the staffing company will help you land the job you want.
You can find Medical Solutions’ available Travel Nursing jobs here.
Benefits of Not Switching Travel Nurse Companies
Find out why it pays to stay with one Travel Nurse company.
Great Cities You Might Have Overlooked
During your Travel Nursing career, some cities just might surprise you. Find out which cities we think deserve a second look.
Guide to Becoming a Travel Nurse
With this guide, you'll be a Travel Nurse and on the open road in no time!
How to Land Your Travel Nurse Dream Job
Getting the Travel Nursing gig of your dreams might be easier than you think.
How to Stop Travel Nurse Bullying
Stop nurse bullying in its tracks with these tips!
Infographics for Travel Nurses
If a picture's worth a thousand words, than these Travel Nurse infographics are a must-see!
Perfecting the Interview
Ace your Travel Nurse interview with these tips!
PBDS Testing Guide
Sharpen your critical and clinical skills with our PBDS study guide.
14 Questions to Ask Your Career Consultant
Find the perfect Career Consultant for you.
Reasons to Become a Travel Nurse
Looking for a reason to travel? We've got a few for you!
Stability in Travel Nursing
Although Travel Nursing assignments are temporary, you can go the distance with a Travel Nursing career.
Student Guide to Travel Nursing
Prepare yourself for a Travel Nursing career while you're still in school!
Travel Nurse Orientation Guide
Travel Nurse Orientation 101: Learn how to quickly adjust to your new facility.
Be Social on Your Travel Nurse Assignment
Say hello to freedom and adventure as a Travel Nurse. Great things happen when you embrace the unexpected.
Travel Nursing Blogs
Blogs can be a great tool for the Travel Nurse. Find our top picks here.
Travel Nursing Books
Make the transition to a Travel Nursing career with our collection of links to Travel Nursing books and guides.
Travel Nursing Magazines
Become an industry insider with these links to our favorite Travel Nursing magazines.
Travel Nursing Shopping Guide
Find the right Travel Nurse company for you.
Travel Nursing Social Networks
Get social with these online communities and stay connected with other Travel Nurses while on assignment.
Travel Nursing Tools
From a Cost of Living Calculator to a Salary Calculator, find everything you need to navigate your Travel Nursing career here.
Apply now and take the fast track to starting your career as a Travel Nurse.apply today
Find your next Traveling Nurse job based on what you love.search now