Student Guide to Travel Nursing
Have you been thinking about becoming a Travel Nurse, but aren't really sure how to start? Let the adventure begin! We've designed an easy step by step student guide to becoming a Travel Nurse to help you succeed in your traveling career.
- Education - To become a Travel Nurse, you first must become a Registered Nurse. The first step is to enroll in an accredited program by the National League for Nursing Commission (NLNAC). Two main options for education:
- 2-3 year Associates of Science Nursing degree (ADN)
- 4 year Bachelor of Science Nursing degree (BSN)
- Pass the NCLEX - This is the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN). Regardless of the type of degree you obtain, you will be required to take the NCLEX. Once you pass, you will be given the designation Registered Nurse (RN).
- Get Experience - It's best to get at least two to three years clinical experience in your specialty before you start searching for a Travel Nurse position. This has become a standard requirement for travel companies, and will make you more valuable and desired Nurse. Some in demand specialties include: Operating Room (OR), Emergency Room (ER), Pediatrics, Oncology, and Labor and Delivery.
- Find a Company - Once you have enough experience, you can find a recruiting company that specializes in Travel Nursing opportunities. From there, a recruiter will help you seek out and secure the assignments you want. They typical travel assignment is 13 weeks in duration.
- Get Your Travel On - Time to pack! Many companies provide benefits like travel stipends, paid housing and health insurance. Your recruiter will be in contact with you periodically through your assignment making sure everything is going smoothly and setting you up for your next adventure!
Good Skills to Have
- Adaptablitiy - Travel Nursing is all about new experiences and flexibility.
- Confidence - Travel Nurses need to be poised and assertive, without being pushy or condescending.
- Organization - A Travel Nurse's career is filled with paperwork, and staying organized can help avoid future headaches.
- Friendliness - Just the nature of the job. Moving to new assignments and meeting new people requires excellent interpersonal skills.
- Eagerness - Being an enthusiastic learner who enjoys learning new skills and nursing principles will be important.
You can learn even more about preparing for your travel nursing career at youniversity.medicalsolutions.com.
Want to learn more about Travel Nursing?
Sign-up to receive the Medical Solutions newsletter and learn future career as a Travel Nurse!
Benefits of Not Switching Travel Nurse Companies
Find out why it pays to stay with one Travel Nurse company.
Great Cities You Might Have Overlooked
During your Travel Nursing career, some cities just might surprise you. Find out which cities we think deserve a second look.
Guide to Becoming a Travel Nurse
With this guide, you'll be a Travel Nurse and on the open road in no time!
How to Land Your Travel Nurse Dream Job
Getting the Travel Nursing gig of your dreams might be easier than you think.
How to Stop Travel Nurse Bullying
Stop nurse bullying in its tracks with these tips!
Infographics for Travel Nurses
If a picture's worth a thousand words, than these Travel Nurse infographics are a must-see!
Perfecting the Interview
Ace your Travel Nurse interview with these tips!
PBDS Testing Guide
Sharpen your critical and clinical skills with our PBDS study guide.
14 Questions to Ask Your Career Consultant
Find the perfect Career Consultant for you.
Reasons to Become a Travel Nurse
Looking for a reason to travel? We've got a few for you!
Stability in Travel Nursing
Although Travel Nursing assignments are temporary, you can go the distance with a Travel Nursing career.
Student Guide to Travel Nursing
Prepare yourself for a Travel Nursing career while you're still in school!
Travel Nurse Orientation Guide
Travel Nurse Orientation 101: Learn how to quickly adjust to your new facility.
Be Social on Your Travel Nurse Assignment
Say hello to freedom and adventure as a Travel Nurse. Great things happen when you embrace the unexpected.
Travel Nursing Blogs
Blogs can be a great tool for the Travel Nurse. Find our top picks here.
Travel Nursing Books
Make the transition to a Travel Nursing career with our collection of links to Travel Nursing books and guides.
Travel Nursing Magazines
Become an industry insider with these links to our favorite Travel Nursing magazines.
Travel Nursing Shopping Guide
Find the right Travel Nurse company for you.
Travel Nursing Social Networks
Get social with these online communities and stay connected with other Travel Nurses while on assignment.
Apply now and take the fast track to starting your career as a Travel Nurse.